Units and species
Currently offering scouting packages in these Idaho units:
Diamond creek zone, Beaverhead zone,
PUBLIC LAND SCOUTING PACKAGES
Our Public-Land Scouting packages offer an affordable way to drastically improve your success rate compared to showing up blind to a new area. You’ll get your package price back in the days saved trying to narrow down good areas to spend your hunting time and energy.
I have vast knowledge of a few units in Idaho as well as some units in New Mexico.
I provide either a Full scouting package which include the most current scouting information gathered before you arrive or, in some units, our Informational packages based on previous years’ scouting.
With either option, you’ll know where the game is or will most likely be, how to hunt the area, and where to camp. Many of the do-it-yourself hunters that use this service say that it helps take the newness off an area so they can get down to serious hunting sooner. I can only offer a few packages per year, so if you’re serious, contact us as soon as possible. We sell out before summer most years.
If you’re only relying on information you’ve gathered from internet chat rooms, wildlife biologists, and tight-lipped locals, you could be missing a lot. Internet chat rooms are helpful, but you won’t get a true picture of the area. If you want to have the best chance your first year in an area, you need on-the-ground, up-to-date information, and these packages can help provide that.
Who Should Hire Our Service?
1) Those who recognize the value of scouting but don’t have the ability or time to scout an area before their arrival will most benefit from our services.
2) Non-residents seem to be most happy with these services as they can hire us then when hunting season rolls around, drive out and start hunting with a good knowledge of the area and what to expect.
3) Groups of two or more hunters who can’t scout their area are a good match for our service as our price is the same regardless of group size. This makes our cost very affordable per person.
Who Should NOT Hire Our Service?
1) If you already have the ability and knowledge to scout your area, please don’t hire us. We’ve had hunters hire us who are already scouting the unit and hope we can find something out they can’t. Odds are we won’t and you won’t be satisfied with the information we provide.
2) Those who don’t trust us. Please, send no money if you don’t value and trust in what we do. Keep your money and go golfing or something, or better yet, spend it scouting the area yourself.
3) Locals. If you live near your hunt area, you probably won’t be happy with our service. Sure enough, we’ll spend a weekend scouting your area, and when we send you the map with the recommended hunt area, you’ll say something like, “I already knew about that place.” We have and will work for locals, but only if they can’t scout the area themselves.
The map packages for both our Full Scouting packages and our Informational packages consists of 1:100,000 topographical maps of your central hunting area and 1:126,720 forest service or 1:100,000 BLM maps of your greater hunting area or unit; or the equivalent. Most of the information that we gather will be written directly on these maps. In some cases, we include Google Earth images to help you understand how to best hunt a particular area. Don’t think of us as guys just “selling GPS coordinates.” Rather we use our prescouted information to consult with you on how to best hunt a particular areas. Also, we aren’t scouting for trophies. Occasionally we find a great animal, but that’s not our goal. Finally, we never accompany anyone into the field, so please don’t ask. We are not guides! If you need a guide on public land, hire the legal outfitter for that area.
No matter which package that you chose, all you’ll have to do is show up and start hunting.
The costs of our full scouting package is regardless of your group size.
Full scouting packages run $1195
Informational packages run $495
Usually two or more hunters hire our services and split the cost. If you have ever traveled hundreds of miles to a hunting area and then spent days trying to figure out how to hunt it, you’ll realize the cost of our service is a value.
If you do hire our service, we’ll send you a contract agreement explaining in detail what you can expect from our service. This protects both parties involved and should give you a sense of confidence in hiring a company that may be located many miles from your home.
Deposit and Refund Policy
For our full scouting packages, if you’re paying by credit card, we require a 50% deposit before we’ll start the scouting package. The balance is due upon completion of scouting package. If you’re paying by check or money order, we require payment in full before we’ll send out your scouting package. For our informational packages, the entire amount is due before the package will be mailed.
1) If we are unable to complete the scouting package as agreed upon in the contract due to our own actions, we will refund the amount paid in a timely manner.
2) As stated on our contract, we are a hunting consulting service and can’t control inclement weather, hunting conditions, big game habits, hunting pressure, hunter success, your personal hunting abilities or attitude toward hunting, or emergency regulation changes. No refunds will be made if your hunt is adversely affected by events or conditions beyond our control. We can only guarantee the information gathered for your scouting package is accurate at the time we gathered it.
3) If you can’t make your intended hunt, we don’t give refunds, so plan ahead!
Scouting Methods Used
As far as the scouting methods we use, they vary. We’ve spent ample time during preseason, season, and post season in virtually every unit where we provide information.
Sometimes scouting is just driving around locating access points to hunt areas we know through our research hold potential. Other times, it involves early morning/late evening glassing and hiking to locate big-game hideouts. We’ve even used horses to access hard-to-reach locations.
The point is, we decide which method is most productive based on what we are charging and the area we are scouting based on decades of experience scouting and hunting.
If you think we can locate you a trophy-class buck or bull for the prices that we charge compared to the $4,000 to $15,000 per hunter that outfitters charge, plus they guide you, please continue surfing the web, you should have never come to this website.
However, if you need a place to hunt and don’t have the time or ability to scout before the season, then we might be a good fit for you.
On our Full Scouting Packages, we’ll spend one to three days in the unit narrowing down areas for you to hunt. We reserve the right to scout for multiple hunter groups in a given unit, but we do not overlap information with other groups that might be in the unit. The quality of the information we sell is distributed first-come, first-serve. Read our overlap policy stated below in the first question. In most cases, we are only selling information to one group per big game unit per year.
Common Questions about Our Scouting Services
Question: If we hire your service, will you put any other hunters in the area we are hunting?
Answer: No. Our overlap policy is to not put hunters within 3 miles of other scouting packages for the same year and same species. The information that we gather for your scouting package will be sold only under the contract agreed upon between Wescout4u.com and you for the year for which the contract was sold.
Question: What if I plan to return to the area the following year- will you put hunters within that area again?
Answer: If you obtain the license and tag for the following year, and notify us that you will be returning to the same area and we won’t sell any packages within 3 miles of that area. If you don’t notify us, we’ll resume scouting the area for future use.
Question: I’ve heard that you must be licensed to be a guide- are you?
Answer: According to Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board (IOGLB), the public-land scouting portion of our business constitutes a a hunting information service and is not considered a guiding service. IOGLB does not require licensing for hunting information services that gather information for prescouted areas. If you have any further questions on this matter, you can call Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board @ 1-208-327-7380. Also, according to current Forest Service rules (January 2019) we are not required to have a permit to scout–we are considered a consulting service as we never accompany anyone on to the Forest. In the case of BLM ground, we apply for permits that allow us to share information that we’ve gathered.
The other states we cover have similar laws and we stay in compliance with those, too. If a law changes between your deposit and scouting season, we’ll refund your money.
Question: How much time will you spend scouting an area for us?
Answer: One to three days in most cases. Enough time to save you a week of scouting if you’re new to an area.
Question: Do you have references available?
Answer: Yes. We have references available for both successful and unsuccessful hunters that we’ve helped out dating back over 10 years.
Email us today to book your hunting package or quality location information
Like what you see? Get in touch to learn more.